These were notes from a negotiation class I took years ago. Thought they were worth keeping:
- All Negotiations Have Structure: It’s important to build coalitions and identify structure in any negotiation.
- Structure Shapes Strategy: Be flexible, carefully assess potential outcomes. Never say no.
- Structure Can Be Shaped: Constantly give action times, give and take exercise. With more items on the table, it’s easier to come to an agreement.
- Process and Control: Frame arguments and approach people in the right order.
- Channeling: Use action-forcing events: meetings, calendar year. Important to find shared interests.
- Lead: Constantly be learning.