I admit, this is one of my favorite movies. I caught it again on Netflix last night. Here are a few memorable moments/thoughts from the rewatch:
- I love the concept. Yes, this is about a contract killer who comes home for his high school reunion. A chilling comedy. Love story. That’s selling it short. For me, it’s about someone who goes down a path in life, realizes it’s the wrong path, and wants to travel back to a single point in time. He begs for a do over. He wants to go to prom. High school memories can last forever.
- The flight scene in Minnie Driver’s bedroom. Two kids playing again.
- If an old friend asked me to wrap up a body in paper and carry it down to the furnace, I wondered what I would do. Hey, I haven’t seen you in ten years but why not?
- The doctor patient relationship.
- When Cusack asks Driver to marry him, I laughed out loud when her dad said, “You’ve got my blessing.”
- The soundtrack is outstanding. Blister in the Sun. Under Pressure. Live and Let Die.
- Grosse Pointe is set in Michigan but was filmed entirely in California (outside of a few aerial shots). I wonder if this version of the Mid-West is one through Californian eyes? If it was filmed today, would it look different?
A few movie quotes:
“A thousand innocent people get killed every day! But a millionaire’s pet gets detonated, and you’re marked for life.”
“Dr. Oatman, please pick up, pick up! It’s Martin Blank! I, I’m standing where my, uh, living room was and it’s not here because my house is gone and it’s an Ultimart! You can never go home again, Oatman… but I guess you can shop there.”
“You look good, you look Tony Robbins good.”